Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Jeg vil gjerne ha et glass øl og student kortet

So what's new?  Well, I started class this week, er two out of my three.  I'm taking molecular evolution, marine benthic ecology and norwegian.  So far I have only attended marine benthic and norwegian because the other starts next week.  I really like them both!  I'm beginning to pick up a bit of norwegian (I better with 6 hours a week of it) but I've still got a long way to go. I have learned the laid back norwegian mentality endures despite the beginning of the school year as the beer tent is still up on campus and all the faculties (each with their individual underground pubs) are having techno concerts and what not at night.  It's becoming very evident that enjoying life is a top priority to these people.  This is a good thing because nearly every night is fun, but when you want things like your student ID or your norwegian identity number it is mind numbingly painful because people work odd hours so they can go hiking and everything is so unorganized that an American like me wants to pull their hair out.  Oh well, if this is the worst thing about Norway, I think I can hang.  I've been exploring the bar scene with some girl friends and it has been a great time. Naturally, we get our dance on and request Shakira wherever we go.  On monday, we went to a the beer tent and a pub crawl to all the different pubs on campus each with different DJ's and bands and couldn't help but laugh at how far off it is from universities back home.  Last weekend we went out in downtown Oslo to the law students pub and then a huge outdoor bar in the city center.  The law pub was hilarious because all the guys had slicked- back hair and cardigans around their shoulders.  Oooh fun fact:  Norwegian dance ridiculous.  They kind of just bounce around and don't get close to each other.  They also throw in some fist pumps here and there haha.  We thought it was odd because we kept seeing guys in red pants, only a few of which managed to pull it off.  We went a week thinking it was a trend, but turns out it is an old Nordic tradition that freshman wear red pants and have to drink everyday in their first semester.  I also learned that 1 and a half years of military service is mandatory in Norway so the freshman are all 20 years old.  Anyways, tomorrow morning I'm going to attempt yet again to get my stupid semester card from the international student office but knowing my luck they will be out of the office for a waffle break or something.  Then I will try for the third time to get my ecology book from the bookstore.  One thing is for sure, I'm going to have fun at night atleast.  I'm sure I'll study eventually...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment