Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ich Freue Mich Sie Weidersehen!

All my life, I’ve had a lot of guy friends. They’re easy friends to have because they’re laid back , they say what they mean and there’s no drama. Not to mention I’m a bit of a tomboy myself. The fallback is that if they decide to bro out, I’m perpetually outnumbered. This is what happened in Berlin.
Marc had been going on and on about this great movie we all had to see. I was less than thrilled when all the boys decided, yes indeed we should watch “Hobo with a Shotgun.” We can thank the Canadians for this gem. After seeing a fake Quentin Tarantino trailer, they took it upon themselves to make the accompanying movie. I grumbled a little bit in dismay but didn’t put up much of a fight because I have to admit I was a tad curious, and as I mentioned I was tragically outnumbered. To reassure me, Marc said, “No, no it’s artistic.” HA.
I knew I was in trouble when about 10 min into the movie I couldn’t figure out if I had nodded off without knowing because all the sudden the scene switched to a random guy being hung in a manhole while another man put a barbed wire necklace attached to a car around this neck and the drove off with his head for no apparent reason. I looked at Marc and asked what in on earth was even happening and he just told me to keep watching. I thought maybe it would get better but with lines like, “How many people have you killed?” “I dunno, what, do I look like a mathmetician?” I learned it would only get much, much worse.
Once the movie was over I told them that was the worst movie I’ve ever seen. And I’ve watched Gigli. But they liked it and I was left rolling my eyes as they discussed, “I think it was really creative when she killed that guy with her broken bone.” A few minutes later I went to the bathroom and when I came out they had started a new movie. “Oh no, what did you put on? You didn’t even ask me!?” I said when I came back and I was told, “Human Traffic”. I argued and Marc once again reassured me, “no, no this one is more of a quality film, it actually has a trailer.” I sighed, sat back in the sofa and thought to myself…Oh hell.

Aside from the theatrical abominations I endured, I really enjoyed my trip to Berlin and I think it is a cool city. We got to see a lot of the historical sights, just wander around, and drinking beer throughout the day was considered perfectly expectable. I can’t say I was a big fan of the traditional Berlin currywurst, but it was nice to be able to try new food and drink cheap beer.
When I was walking to the bus station on that last day, I thought to myself that there is another reason I really like Berlin but I couldn’t put my finger on it. As I stopped to take a picture of this
Marc said to me, “I like Berlin because it’s fucked.” While I wouldn’t phrase it the same way, that was when it donned on me, I like Berlin because it has character. As someone that grew up in a town where people commonly have “Keep Santa Cruz Weird” bumper stickers, I learned early on that normal is boring. So, Berlin with all it’s different types of quirky people, huge murals and amusing street graffiti reminded me in a way of home. I realized that is one thing I really miss in Norway. Back home there’s the surf bums walking around barefoot, the hippies sitting downtown smoking weed and playing bongo drums, the goth/punk whatevers sitting in front of the used record store trying to look hard, the Mexicans playing mariachi music at the flea market, the crazies on the bus yelling at imaginary people. While I love Norway, in contrast it seems too tame and cookie-cutter. I’m not saying they need a hobo with a shotgun or anything, but maybe atleast some hippies to lighten things up. I’ll call my cousins. :p


Ps. I love and miss you, Asa, Jarrett and Kyler.

1 comment:

  1. Compared to your first stint of posts this is a different voice. Reading love stories and writing nostalgia, this change amuses me ya big softie:) Glad i deg

    ReplyDelete