Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Never Make Assumptions

Libby and I have learned that it is best to never make an assumption in Norway because you will inevitably be wrong.  As we have fully embraced the "what can go wrong, will go wrong" attitude; just to keep us on our toes, Norway throws us a bone once and a while.  Exhibit A:  Train ticket checking. 
Okay, so I have been a good little student and for the last almost 2 months have paid for my train tickets or had my 30 day student travel card and had yet to have anyone check it.  My time to renew my travel card was a few days ago but I got a bit lazy and put it off thinking I'll get it tomorrow and that they don't check anyway.  Well, of course they checked tickets in my few day lapse.  I'll admit, I really should have seen that one coming.  
Anyways, I look up to see a woman in a train control uniform asking for tickets.  A wave of fear came over me, a woman controller, just my luck.  She looked nice enough, but I was not to be fooled.  No one wins with a female cop back home...always have something to prove, and I wasn't about to roll the dice on her.  I contemplated bolting, but it would be a little bit before the next stop and that seemed awfully dramatic.  
Then I saw the male ticket checker and thus a small glimmer of hope.  I nodded to the woman that I would give it to him and did without any look of concern.  He stared at his scanner thing for a second and then sat down next to me.  Hmmm this is not good, I thought for sure he was sitting down so he could write my fine.  He told me that my card had expired and I quickly told him, "oh no, I thought I had more time on it!"  He stared at his monitor and said it didn't.  I told him, "please don't give me a ticket, I'll get out and walk."  He sat for a second, looked up to read me and without saying a word I told him "yes, I am a crier."  He whispered back to me, "Get it today" and walked away to me whispering "thanks".  Success!  Naturally, I went to renew my card immediately afterwards but the only machine near my housing was broken so I have to attempt to deal with it tomorrow, but I didn't get fined.  It is nice to know that even in the land of gender equality, the men have sense enough to know that a hysterical woman is best avoided.  

No comments:

Post a Comment