Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

To My Fellow Californians, This is What Fall Looks Like


And it's cold.  It's actually a good thing I took these pictures when I did because it snowed the next day.  Just a little, but enough to stick on the ground.  I was actually really happy when it started snowing because I had been commenting on how cold it is for a little bit and everyone would look and me and be like "oh man you're in for it."  I blamed being from California, but then last weekend I went to a dinner with a Colombian friend from my research group Maria, and she only had on a not so thick sweater and was fine while I was layered up in a sweater, wool coat, gloves and a scarf and was shaking.  At that point I started to wonder if I was just a wimp.  So when the snow came, I felt validated.  If it is cold enough for snow, it is cold.
If you ask any Norwegians about the weather (which they love to talk about) they will tell you they had their coldest winter ever last year. I thought to myself...phew dodged a bullet there.  But then on the train today I overheard a women telling her friend...."yeah, the weather forecasters are saying this will be the coldest winter ever..even worse than last year."  So, cross your fingers for me.  On the bright side, it means there will be a lot of snow for me to take up skiing like I have been looking forward to.

What else to tell you?  Hmmm well...my research group is awesome.   I was invited to a dinner hosted by a supervisor in my research group and he told us to bring Belgian beers for a beer tasting after.  Consequently, I learned a valuable lesson about life in Norway: don't try to buy alcohol on a Saturday.  So their alcohol laws are funny...the grocery stores aren't allowed to sell drinks with more than 4.7% (I think) alcohol..so if you want to buy wine, hard liquor or real beer, you have to go to the Vinmonopolet.  Also, you can't buy beer after 8 on weekdays, after 6 on Saturday or at all on Sunday.  I thought I was in the clear by going to the Vinmonopolet at 3:30 but it was closed.  I thought to myself, are they taking a waffle break or something?  But then I looked at the store hours and they close at 3 on Saturdays.  Of course.  So I came without Belgian beer to the dinner, but it was okay anyway.  I thought it would be a early night in, but after a delicious dinner, our group hung out until I think like 5:30 in the morning.  It was really nice to hang out with my research group outside of school, they are all really great.  Most supervisors don't drink with their students and play in rock bands...so I lucked out for sure on this one.  Also noteworthy, in a bit of a Belgian beer blur, I agreed to play floor hockey on Wednesday mornings.  I'm fairly certain I will be awful at it, but I am looking forward to it because I think it will be a lot of fun.  The friend that invited me Tore, also told me that Glenn (my supervisor) gets really mad when he gets scored on so I am a bit curious to see that as well.
Oh this reminds me, another friend Norith was nice enough to invite me to do yoga last week.  Now, I am not exactly known for my grace or balance but I thought it would be fun to try it out.  I brought along two other international students that were interested as well.  Being the silly foreigners that we are, we went and sat in front of the wrong room and didn't realize it until right before class started. So, we had to run into the actual room only to find that all the spots were taken expect for the front.  Crap. So we went in front and were surrounded by people so flexible they could probably lick their own butts if they wanted to.  The best part though was when it was really quiet and we were all trying to hold a pose with out arms wrapped around one leg, my friend Katie lost her balance and fell ever so loudly into the table right next to her.  I was dying I was laughing (quietly) to myself so hard.  It took me about 5-10 min to gain composure after that.  Though I'm not sure I ever looked particularly composed.  Anyways, I enjoyed it and plan on going again next week and this time Maria will join as well.  I think it will be a good relaxing thing to do after a long day of studying.
  
What else is new?  I've waged war with US Airways.  They are refusing to refund the refundable ticket I bought for coming home this winter.  I can't use the flight because I have a final that day and because as I told my dad, I would rather have a kidney stolen by a band of gypsies than ever fly US Airways again.  For the first time ever I lost it on the phone with a customer service person and have been swamping them with emails.  I figure if I keep bugging them enough I might get my way, and if I don't atleast I will make it difficult for them.  We'll see.
What else?  Oooh there was a party for biologist on campus last night, which I went to.  Every time I go to something like this where the have set up a bar and a music on campus I can't help but laugh and think of how different it is from back home.  Americans are up tight.  Though this is odd with how strict Norway is with their alcohol laws.  Maria has a theory that Norway is only strict with the drinking laws because when it is cold in the winter, the government doesn't want people drinking and sitting around in the cold and dying.  I think there may be some truth in that.
Well, it's time for me to go.  There is a ski sale and my hallmate has offered to come with me to see if we can get some affordable skies for me.  It is snowing, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment